Paris 2024 Paralympic Games August 28 - September 8

 Paris 2024: Warburton’s Quest for the Elusive Paralympic Gold

Wheelchair Basketball Star Aims to Inspire Great Britain to Paralympic Victory on Third Attempt


Great Britain are often seen as the "nearly men" of wheelchair basketball at the Paralympics. They've secured bronze medals in four of the last five Summer Games, including the last two, but have yet to win gold.

Gregg Warburton, who competed in Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020, reflects, "The younger me would be really disappointed that I haven’t achieved the gold medal I’ve been striving for."

"I’m hopeful that Paris will be the Games where that changes."

Warburton made his Paralympic debut as a teenager in Rio. Despite experiencing near misses, such as Great Britain’s narrow loss to the USA in the 2022 World Championship final, Warburton understands what it takes to win.

He was named MVP when Great Britain secured their second world wheelchair basketball title, their first since 1973, in Hamburg, Germany, in 2018. He also earned a spot on the European All-Star team in 2023, contributing to GB’s eighth continental title.

However, it’s the disappointments that linger the most. “I’m proud to be competing in my third Paralympic Games, but I hold myself to high standards,” he said. “Since I was young, I’ve dreamed of winning multiple gold medals at the Paralympics – at least two.”

“I love the freedom that wheelchair basketball gives me,” Warburton shares. In the sport, he is classified as a “two-pointer,” a rating system where players are assigned a score based on how their impairment affects their abilities, with 1 being the highest and 4.5 the lowest.

“I’m a double amputee with an abnormality on my left arm—only two fingers and it’s shorter. I was born with feet but had them amputated when I was just a few months old, which was a significant decision for my parents. But it was the best choice they could have made—it has transformed my life. My disability hasn’t held me back in any way.”

“I’ve always been passionate about sport. When I was 10, I attended a multi-sport event with my school, tried wheelchair basketball, and was immediately hooked by the team spirit, the speed of the game, and the freedom it gave me. I’ve never looked back since.”

With Great Britain, Warburton won bronze at the European Under-22 Championships in 2012 and gold at the same event two years later. As captain, he led the team to U23 World Championship gold in 2017, following his Paralympic debut in Rio.

“It was incredible,” he said. “The Games were truly special. The crowds were amazing, the Village was phenomenal, and the arena was fantastic… an unforgettable experience.”

“I didn’t play many minutes because I was only 19, but just being at the top level and participating in my first international tournament with the senior team was a real eye-opener,” Warburton recalls.

In Tokyo, Great Britain faced disappointment again, despite leading their group with a narrow victory over the eventual champions, USA. Hosts Japan stunned them in the semi-finals, but Britain secured a medal, with Warburton’s eight assists crucial in their bronze medal win against Spain.

Can Great Britain turn bronze into gold? Great Britain earned their spot in Paris through last year’s European victory, and Warburton feels positive about the team’s preparations, noting, “So far, so good.”

“We’ve had a busy summer with two competitions, so I’m confident we’ll be ready for Paris. Having the Paralympics in Europe will be great; I hope more of my family and friends can make it.”

“It’s going to be an amazing spectacle. From what I’ve seen online, the preparations and the overall look of the Games are going to be phenomenal.”

So, what will it take for Great Britain to turn bronze into gold? “Honestly, I can’t say for sure until I’ve become a Paralympic champion myself,” Warburton admits. “But I believe I understand what it takes to get there, and that’s the journey we’re on.”

“If I had to pinpoint one thing, it would be the hard work put in when no one is watching. It’s easy to perform well with cameras rolling and thousands of spectators, but the real challenge lies in the effort behind the scenes.”

“It’s those early mornings in the gym that test you,” Warburton explains. “You might think it’s tempting to skip and get an extra hour of sleep, but it’s the inner determination and toughness that push you through. Hopefully, that dedication will steer us in the right direction for Paris.”

Regardless of the medal’s color—Great Britain is certainly a strong contender for gold—Warburton is eager for the experience.

“Growing up, this is everything I dreamed of,” he says. “Of course, we’re here to win, but the process and journey are equally important. If you don’t enjoy that part, you won’t appreciate the outcome as much.”

“It’s crucial to step back and savor the journey. I believe that mindset contributes to success and increases your chances of standing on the top of the podium.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post