Jason Tabansky wins gold at the Paralympics, despite initially being expected to miss the event


 Jason Tabansky achieved a career milestone by clinching gold at the Paris 2024 Paralympics. The 41-year-old American archer triumphed over China’s Han Guifei with a score of 134-131 in the W1 men’s final.

Remarkably, just nine weeks before the Games, Tabansky wasn’t even qualified to compete. His chance to participate only came after Australia's Chris Davis withdrew, allowing Tabansky to make his Paralympic debut in Paris.

The rest of the story feels like a fairy tale.

“I remember loading my arrow, hooking my release, drawing back, and then screaming. I don't remember the shot. All I could think of was putting the pin in the gold and hitting the mark, and I did,” he reflected after the match.

Tabansky was trailing after the second and third ends but made a dramatic comeback. Despite a disappointing second arrow in the final end, which landed in the 7-ring and seemed to jeopardize his chances, he rallied with a perfect 10 to secure the gold.

His journey to the final was challenging, including a notable victory over the defending champion, David Drahoninsky.

“I practiced four matches every day at home,” Tabansky shared. “I competed against my wife. As long as I was winning and maintaining a certain score range, I knew I was on the right track. I just kept at it for about three weeks.”


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post