Paris 2024 Paralympic Games August 28 - September 8

 Paris 2024: Wheelchair Tennis Star Oda: "Paris Holds a Special Place for Me"

Teenage wheelchair tennis sensation Tokito Oda from Japan was inspired to take up the sport after watching Shingo Kunieda in action. Now, he aims to play for the next generation of young athletes.





For Tokito Oda, Paris holds a special significance. Named after the Arc de Triomphe, the iconic monument in the city’s heart, he has also claimed two of his four wheelchair tennis Grand Slam titles at the French Open.

At just 18 years old, Oda feels it’s fate that he is making his Paralympic debut in Paris.

“This place is incredibly meaningful to me,” he said. “There’s no guarantee there will be another Paralympics in Paris during my lifetime, so I’m approaching this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Before the wheelchair tennis singles tournament, Oda shared a photo on Instagram of himself making a wish in front of the Arc de Triomphe, with the caption “Dreamer.” On September 1, he progressed to the third round of the men’s singles tournament by defeating Great Britain’s Ben Bartram in straight sets.

"Returning to Roland Garros is incredibly special for me because I haven’t lost a match there in the past two years. I’m determined to do it again,” he said.

“I believe these Games will be a turning point in my life. They offer me a chance to make a significant change, though I’m not exactly sure how. But I’m confident it will be profound.”

Is it impossible? Not at all. In fact, the Paralympic Games have already brought about a dramatic transformation in his life.

Diagnosed with bone cancer at the age of nine, he underwent rigorous treatment and surgery. While in the hospital, he watched a video of wheelchair tennis legend Shingo Kunieda competing in the men’s singles final at the London 2012 Paralympic Games.

“I used to play soccer as a kid and started using a wheelchair at six, which was a big shift for me. Discovering Para sport and watching Kunieda inspired me and gave me a dream. That moment was crucial for my life.”

“When I was in the hospital, I explored a few sports—wheelchair tennis, basketball, and others. I chose wheelchair tennis because of Shingo Kunieda, who is from the same country,” Oda explained. “After watching a video of him play, I decided to pursue wheelchair tennis.”

Since then, the teenager has achieved remarkable success. At just 14 years old, Oda became the youngest-ever boys’ world No. 1 in the junior wheelchair tennis rankings.

Three years later, he won his first Grand Slam title at Roland Garros and subsequently became the youngest athlete to reach No. 1 in the wheelchair tennis singles rankings. With three additional Grand Slam titles, he has become a prominent figure in Japan.

“I really enjoy playing wheelchair tennis with a chair and a racquet. Normally, in tennis, players only use racquets while standing. Playing sports in a chair is challenging but also incredibly fun,” Oda said. “That’s what matters most to me.”

The Fortunate Spot


Oda, often referred to by the media as Kunieda’s successor, identifies “these Paralympics” as his greatest challenge since taking up wheelchair tennis.

However, he has always been his own “biggest supporter” and feels a strong connection to Paris as his lucky place. At this year’s French Open, he triumphed without dropping a single set on the prestigious red clay courts.

“I have many sources of good fortune here,” Oda said. “My name, Tokito, and its kanji were inspired by the Arc de Triomphe. Paris has always been a source of inspiration for me, and this time is particularly special.”

“I believe my biggest supporter is myself because I’ve made all the key decisions on my own. While my parents are supportive, I’ve chosen nearly everything—from pursuing this sport to deciding where to compete. Making these choices myself is crucial to living my own life.”

For the Kids

Just as Shingo Kunieda was a role model for Oda in his journey into Para sports, Oda hopes to inspire a new generation of young athletes. He wants more kids to discover wheelchair tennis and have the chance to compete in tournaments. To support this, he helped organize a junior wheelchair tennis event at an international tournament in his hometown.

“To the kids who have already started playing wheelchair tennis, I want to share my international experiences with them. And for those who haven’t yet started, I hope to spark their interest in the sport.

“For me, the Paralympic Games represent a major opportunity to not only transform my own life but also to impact the lives of those watching my matches. I hope this exposure encourages more people to start playing tennis and wheelchair tennis,” Oda said.

“I want to showcase my tennis to as many people as possible.”


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post